Ucross Foundation Residency

The artist wishes to thank the Ucross Foundation their generosity in providing time, space, and support for the Neo-Quietism project.

The second stop on my Marion Fellowship tour is at the Ucross Foundation in north-eastern Wyoming. The Ucross Foundation provides space and time for visual artists, writers, dancers, and composers to create. Residency is a time with lots of room to think, and the room to think available at Ucross feels about as big as the landscape here. 

When your daily responsibilities are minimal, the day opens up to allow for deep work. The studio is filled with the DNA of creativity and everyone here gets to stretch out psychologically and philosophically.

My work during my one month residency is threefold:
1. To work with the teens at the Wyoming Girls School, Juvenile Detention Center in Sheridan, Wyoming. My project with them is to develop exercises which give the students a meditative experience while making an abstract collage.

2. To have conversations with other artists who are in residence at the same time as I am. Ucross Foundation normally has 8-10 residents during each 2-6 week residency period. I am interested in talking with other residents to hear about their own meditative states with their work.

3. To make some of my own work and write about my thoughts on the creative experience. I am simultaneously reading and listening to several books on mindfulness and creativity.

Comments

Popular Posts